Thursday, January 03, 2013

Improvised Songs

I'm known for my willingness to just put music out that has bugs in it. Some people would worry over every loose note and try to make everything perfect. The majority of my work is completely improvised, or begins with a melody that is later improvised on a synthesizer of MIDI controller. One such song is It's going to take all night. It was completely improvised in one afternoon in my studio, including the vocals. I thought about going back in later and fixing a few rough spots, but on that listening didn't hear anything that offended me. That is not to say that it is a work of perfection, or a masterpiece, it just is what it is. I think a lot of modern music is over thought. I get more from hearing other people's live performances than I do a machined piece of steel. I don't perform live except in the studio, and I rarely do a 2nd take unless it starts out too rocky. More often than not, if I do edit something, I just cut out the glaring errors, and move on. I guess I rely on "happy mistakes" to get me through it all.

No comments: