Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Creative Processing

Song Writing

I started a new song yesterday, writing in Logic, using virtual instruments. I expect the project to end up in Reason, because I like to finish things in there. Reason has good mastering tools, but Logic has some cool virtual synths and I find it easier to jot things down in there.

It's coming along nicely. I'm wondering if I can capture what I hear in my head with the tools that I have. Usually, my songs end up as a conglomeration of things that I didn't plan. This song even has lyrics coming before I finish it, which doesn't always happen. It is serendipity to have things arrive in this order, so that I can add my pads and accompaniment with the lyrics in mind, as opposed to having to fit the words in between whatever I came up with for music.

The percussion for this song is still a mystery to me. I don't want to use loops this time. I am thinking of playing the drum parts on a keyboard, or possibly not having percussion. Why not break with tradition?

I did say recently that I wanted to get away from my time proven formula for song writing. Vocals/Synth/Pads/Drums.  I think the slower you go the more options you have. I'm still trying to follow that sound in my head to see if I can reproduce my imagination. That would be special.

1 comment:

warhammer tau said...

Song writing is one of my frustration when I'm in secondary level but due to lot of curricular activities this passion turns out and blue.But know I still pursue the career because I know that it is my heart's love.