Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Korg Poly Six vs. Roland Juno 6


Korg and Roland both came out with 6 oscillator polyphonic synthesizers around the same time. They were the first fully programmable polyphonic synths that ordinary people could afford. Twenty-some-odd years later, you can get them for next to nothing campared to a Moog, which has acquired an even greater prestige since Bob Moog passed away in 2005.

Those new MiniMoogs, the Voyager series, are some pricey mono synths. $2,100.00 - $3,400.00 in that range is pretty steep, though they are hand made and limited in quantity. I wouldn't mind having one, though it would be hard for me to justify when soft-synth MiniMoogs are available for about $200.00.

Speaking of $200.00, that's about what it costs to get a Roland Juno 6 on e-bay. I found one that was in great shape, for about that price, and it came with an anvil case that is big enough to house most of my long synths.

I got my Korg Poly Six for $100.00 at a pawn shop. It was beat to death though, and a couple of months after I had it, I discovered that the battery which backs up the memory had leaked acid on the circuit board. Things went downhill further when I used the wrong solvent to clean the key contacts and melted the plastic membrane that holds them in place. Oh well. I did get a few recordings out of it before it died, and I've still got it in case I want to destroy a keyboard on stage some day, a-la Nine Inch Nails.

I've read that the Poly Six is not too far distant in sound from the Korg MonoPoly, though the later has more flexibility in programming I believe, despite only 4 oscillators. The Poly Six has a very warm sound, whereas, everything you play on the Juno 6 has that characteristic sound of its filters. In this day and age, the polyphonic kind of voices that you might find in either a Juno 60 (the Juno 6 with a preset memory) or the Poly Six, either one, sound a little bland and weak. The Juno 6, having no memory, must have the controls set for each new sound, though that makes it a good performance keyboard if you like to mess with the knobs while you're playing it.

Okay, so the Poly Six has preset memories. It has a killer unison mode, where it becomes a very stacked mono synth. While mine was still alive, that's mostly how I used it, to get this really heavy airplane engine sounding bass voice. Interestingly, the Juno 6 can approach that heaviness in full polyphony. It has a sub-oscillator in addition to the pulse width modulation, much like the Poly Six.

To me the Juno has a place where you want it to be obvious that you're playing a synth, and be able to play chords and such. The Korg has more of a niche where you just want some pretty sounds, maybe a string ensemble, or synth woodwind sounds.

It is weird to me though that a Juno 6 still goes for around $200.00 and I'm seeing Moog Prodigy mono synths going from near $1000.00. I guess it is the name brand and that distinctive 24db Moog filter that is driving it. None of these synths are still being produced, though in a since the MiniMoog is in new production. Used MiniMoogs are going for upwards of $1500.00 and you're liable to get an early one with unstable oscillators that you have to tune constantly.

I'd say the Juno 6 is the must-have of the two old polys. The Korgs may be harder to find, and have that battery problem in every one, so if you get one, open it up immediately and dig that battery out to replace. One of the reasons I chose the Juno 6 over the Juno 60 was that I knew the '60 would have the battery peril, and they cost about $100.00 more. They sound virtually identical though, and I like tweaking the knobs and sliders while I play it.

3 comments:

Paco Nathan said...

Glad to hear about the Korg Poly!!!

I <3 my Korg MS-10, purchased in 1981 while I was in a New Wave band called "Stryker" at West Point.

Monte McCarter used my MS-10 for his recordings circa 1998, then he reconditioned some parts.

So dang fat! It makes some of those keyboard parts from The Cars first few albums sounds oddly familiar ;)

Jed Jorgensen said...

(Shameless plug): Many a Korg Polysix has failed due to battery corrosion on the KLM-367 PCB. But don’t despair! Bring your Polysix back to life! Replacement KLM-367 PCBs are now available. These PCBs are exact clones of the original PCB, except that they take a new lithium battery which won’t blow up and ruin your synthesizer.

Puchase a new circuit board here: http://sites.google.com/site/jedjorgensen/

Anonymous said...

I have both these synths (polysix and juno 60) and they are both great in different ways (and in some similar ways).

However you are incorrect about a battery problem on the Juno 60, for a start the battery is mounted on the reverse of the board so is away from components should it leak, and secondly it's a a lithium (non rechargable) batter that are far less prone to leaks than the one in the polysix.

Have rarely heard of dead juno 60s due to battery problems, one of the most robust synths out there.

And I agree as an all round musical instrument, the Juno 60 wins over the P6 - but the P6 has a lovely warm vintage sound so it's a matter of taste - get both! :)